Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I Will Give You Rest

I woke up this morning tempted to throw my alarm clock across the room and wondering why, after 8 hours of sleep, I was still so tired. The first thing that popped into my head was this passage from Matthew:
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (11.28-30)
As I lay there pondering my exhaustion level and this passage, I suddenly wondered, If Jesus' promise is rest for our souls, an easy yoke and a light burden, why are we all so tired?

Ask any of your Christian friends, "How are you?" In most cases, you will get some form of "Tired" in response. And it's not just a physical tiredness. We are emotionally and spiritually exhausted.

That's not the promise. The promise is rest for our souls, not exhaustion.

So, why are we so tired?

No comments: